JOB POSTING: Congreso President and CEO
Andrew Wheeler, 215-656-3548
JOB POSTING: Congreso President and CEO
The Board of Directors seeks a new Chief Executive Officer who will be charged with promoting the mission, vision and values of Congreso de Latinos Unidos and leading the organization through the next stages of growth and excellence. The CEO is responsible for stewardship of the organization’s financial resources; strategic direction, subject to approval by the Board; and the assurance of the highest quality in the services provided.
Congreso de Latinos Unidos, Inc. (Congreso) is a multiservice, community-based organization whose mission is to strengthen Latino communities through social, economic, education and health services, leadership development, and advocacy. Founded in 1977, Congreso has evolved from a grassroots organization into a nationally recognized thought leader and provider of quality services. Since 2013, Congreso has been ranked among the region’s Top Workplaces by The Philadelphia Inquirer and today employs over 300 people. Nationally, Congreso was recognized as the National Council of La Raza (NCLR) Affiliate of the Year in 2014, the only organization to have received this distinction twice. In fiscal year 2016 (FY16), Congreso served 17,064 unduplicated individuals.
Congreso serves the Greater Philadelphia region with an expert focus on the Latino community. Sixty-eight percent of Congreso’s clients identify as Latino. The majority of the population Congreso serves is extremely low-income; the median income in Congreso’s zip code, 19133, is the lowest in the city at $14,586. Based on the number of clients who self-report their income and family size, 76% fall below 150% of the federal poverty line, and 61% report making less than $10,000 a year.
Congreso fulfills its mission by ensuring that community members have access to high quality educational opportunities, career-track employment and training programs, as well as programs which address barriers to self-sufficiency. Notable examples of such programs include VIDA—a United Way pilot program for older adults aged 60+, the Esfuerzo HIV/AIDS program, and the Latina Domestic Violence Program, among many others.
For more information on Congreso de Latinos Unidos, visit https://www.congreso.net/
- Serve as a visible face of Congreso in the community and in front of various funders and stakeholders.
- Provide proactive and creative leadership in increasing and expanding the organization’s funding base. Nurture relationships with foundations, corporations, local, state, and federal funding agencies.
- Lead the organization in thoughtful planning for the future, building on its current strengths to include the enhancement and extension of existing programs and the expansion of services provided.
- Strengthen ties with the community and deepen relationships with partners that could enhance Congreso’s ability to better meet the needs of the people it serves
- Manage internal operations in order to increase efficiencies and effectiveness and to measure outcomes to ensure that services of the highest quality are delivered.
- Foster an environment that attracts, retains and empowers employees; create an environment that supports the continued professional development of employees. Be a visible leader who recognizes the organization’s management and staff as key strategic assets. Continue to emphasize diversity in order to ensure a workforce that at all levels within the organization reflects the diversity of the people who are served.
Must Have Requirements:
- Mission Orientation
- Vision and Agility
- People Management, Financial, and Operational Abilities
- Revenue, Fundraising, and Resources
- Quality, Outcomes, and Results
- Relationship and Stakeholder Management
- A Bachelor’s degree is required, and a Master’s degree in a related field would be highly desirable.
- Strong understanding of sound fiscal and budget management practices accompanied by a well-honed business sense.
- Familiarity with the government, business and civic leadership in the Philadelphia region is a major asset, but not a requirement.
Procedure for Candidacy
Congreso de Latinos Unidos, Inc. retained Diversified Search to assist in this confidential search process. Nominations, inquiries, and expressions of interest should be directed to the Search Team at: Congreso_Posting@divsearch.com
One Commerce Square, 2005 Market Street, Suite 3300, Philadelphia, PA 19103
Congreso de Latinos Unidos is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. Nominations and applications from women and minorities are encouraged.